syntax-check command

ABAP, Java, BSP, etc.

syntax-check command

Postby Arda4704 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:14 am

Hi,

I have to write a report to conduct a syntax check on the custom program selected through the selection screen and capture all the errors in the program including the line numbers for the errors.

I have tried using the 'syntax-check' command however it will capture only the first error in the program.

Can someone help me with the same and let me know if there is any other command that can be used or any other alternative.

Thanks in advance.
Arda4704

Postby Willy1492 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:43 am

It is possible to capture all errors.
But it doesn't make much sense, because the syntax checker usually gets so confused by the first error that all subsequent error messages should better be ignored until you fix the first one.
Willy1492

syntax-check command

Postby Arda4704 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:30 am

Hello Frank,

Thank you for your immediate reply. I would agree with you on your reply however I would be grateful if you can let me know the procedure for capturing all the errors including the line numbers as this is for an upgrade tool that we are developing and what we need is a rough idea to make the assessment of the system.

Thanks and Regards.
Arda4704

Postby Willy1492 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:07 am

In SY-SAPRL 6.20, it's mentioned in the documentation (press F1 on SYNTAX-CHECK).
It's not documented in release 4.x .
In 4.6B I've encountered several bugs when searching for all errors (instead of just the first error).
I didn't check whether all the bugs I discovered in 4.6 have been fixed in 6.20.

this is for an upgrade tool that we are developing and what we need is a rough idea to make the assessment of the system

Are you planning an update?
From/to which SY-SAPRL?

Or do you want to sell a general purpose update tool?
Wich releases do you want to support?

A SYNTAX-CHECK which displays all errors is not at all useable for your purpose, because it's poorly implemented.
(Much worse than what you might expect if you compare the results with the diagnostics of a C compiler.)
There are better options than a syntax check.
Willy1492

Return to Development Related